Friday, January 19, 2018

The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon | Re:View

This book was my first introduction to Nicola Yoon’s writing and wow…what an introduction. From the very beginning I knew this book was going to be different. Unlike most books I read, I did know a very little about this. That it turned the idea of “insta-love” on its head. And honestly, I have to agree.

Yoon did a fantastic job of creating characters with incredible depth and a connection that wasn’t fake within a very short period of time. I love love love the diversity of her characters and the fact that their interaction dealt with the difficulties that come from such diversity. I also loved that the circumstances were so…dire. That may sound counterintuitive but it created great stakes for the story.

I would recommend his to fans of YA contemporary (please note my clean-reader warning). I think you will be charmed by Yoon’s sense of humor, her characters, and her impossible yet possible story.




*Note for my clean readers: There is definitely some language in this one and a few descriptive scenes of kissing that may not be suitable for younger readers. I’d recommend this one to 17+.

My rating: 5* 

Book Description 
(from Amazon) 

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?


No comments:

Post a Comment